Sousa plumbea dolphins (Length: 2.8m)
– Prominent melon, hump under the fin is very
– Coastal species, rarely observed in waters
>30 metres deep.
– Forms small pods of fewer than 10 individuals,
but have been seen in larger groups in the Arabian Gulf.
– Abu Dhabi boasts the largest population of
Indian Ocean Humpback Dolphins in the world.
– Locally known as “Deghs”, these marine mammals are subject to threats from abandoned fishing
nets and developmental activities.
Other marine mammals on the island
Bottlenose Dolphins, Dugong